Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Im really worried about my lovely gentle Springer Spaniel hes

Customer Question

Im really worried about my lovely gentle Springer Spaniel hes was 5yrs old, for a temporay measure I had a Suprelorin Impant put in in on the 14/10/2013. I had just started taking him dog training after about a month he bite one of the dogs in the class ( not fighting just bite him in his bum) . Then while passing the postman in my drive while he was handing me my post Bruar jumped at him and tried to bite him!! Last wednesday while sitting down we were doing an exercise the same dog he had bitten came in late with his owner and he ran at it to have a go at him, I was horrified! I now dont want to go back to class ( although the trainer told me this was out of Bruars character) . The last month I have took him to Barkiesdaydog and Wendy who owns it sayes he mixes with 20 dogs and shows no aggression what so ever. Bruar has always had a lovely temperment with dogs and people, we have 4 grandkids and they all love him. Please can you tell me how long before this implant wears off? and will he be the same lovely dog. I am seeing my vet next Friday for his annual injection ( I should have rang him before) will see what he sayes. I love Bruar with all my heart and his training ( inside) has improved so much we have just started in the top class and hes doing really good. Always been a nightmare taking him out for walks on his lead always pulling and wants to be in front of me. Cant let him off the lead cause he will run off ( after cat/bird etc) and wont come back, that why I had the Suprelorin Implant done to help calm him down, but that has not happened, now he has a different character. Hope you can help me with an answer. Thank you Sally Clark.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Sally and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The Supralorin IMplant decreases the testosterone which, in Bruar, should make him less aggressive. Since he is having periods of aggression, I believe that the implant is not working on him. Whenever we manipulate the hormones, Sally, we do not always get the reactions that we would like. I feel that this implant is not good for Bruar and should be removed. The implant lasts 6-12 months in dogs and since it vwas implanted in October, you have a many more months that this implant will be manipulating his hormonal issues. Bruar's body is not taking to this manipulating and should be removed if possible.

You will still have to do some extensive training with Bruar, Sally, but without the interference of confused hormones, he wil respond much better and you will be able to control any amount of aggression by placing yourself as the "Alpha Dog" so he will learn from your training.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you what do you mean by Alpha Dog? Like I said in my email to you I am seeing my vet next Friday, do you think he will be happy to remove the implant? and will it be easy to do? Sally

In most cases, Sally, this implant is simple to remove as long as it has not yet dissolved since it does dissolve over time and once you describe Bruar's aggressive tendencies that are out of charcter, I am sure your vet will agree to remove this because it is best for Bruar.

By "Alpha Dog", I mean that once Bruar knows you are the boss, he will listen to you when he runs away or starts becomning aggressive with others.....simple trauning can stop this behavior before it starts.

Does that make any more sense, Sally?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bruar just looses his head when he has smelled some thing or sees some thing to chase, I have tried to stop this for 5yrs had private trainers etc but nothing has ever stopped him.

Since this has been going on long before the implant, Sally, it may be a behavior issue or related to hormones. I have used the DAP Collar which is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent along with training and it may help decrease Bruar's anxiety.

We also have had good results using medications for 1-2 months such as Clomicalm or Reconcile (dog Prozac) to try to alkter this behavior. You do still have some options, Sally...it is worth a try...

Thank you so much, Sally, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Bruar's issues.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I took your advice and asked my vet about removing the implant from Bruar, but he sayes this wont be the reason Bruar is showing aggression

and wont hear of removing it so I'm left waiting for the implant to work its way out of his system.