Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

my chickens sneeze, but that is it. the Cock started first

Customer Question

my chickens sneeze, but that is it. the Cock started first and does shake his head from time to time but he has always done this, he has got no worse. The only thing now is the Hens sneeze, they lay every day and are very lively. It bothers me, more than it bothers them, what could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
graphicAloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Those mild respiratory symptoms are most indicative of chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum) or Avian Mycoplasmosis (Mycoplasma gallisepticum). We can't distinguish these two bacterial infections without culturing your chicken's choana. The coronavirus causing infectious bronchitis (IB) results in mild symptoms as well but I would expect your chickens to be coughing as well as sneezing.

The bacterial infections mentioned above should respond to a tetracycline such as is present in Duramycin-10 but isn't expected to rid your chickens of the infectious organism altogether. Carriers will remain and so introduction of new chickens to your flock should be avoided for at least 6 months.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have looked at the symptoms of Coryza and Mycoplasma, I had thought it was the latter could be causing the sneezing before I emailed you guys but other than sneezing there are no other signs/ symptoms in my birds other than the Cock shaking his head. so i'm not sure if I agree, unless the symptoms are going to get worse? will they recover?

You make the good point that the severity of these infections will alter what symptoms you see. While one bird might sneeze a few times, the next might develop serious secondary bacterial infections and develop full blown conjunctivitis, sinusitis, air sacculitis, and even die from complications of what initially was expected to be a mild infection.

To answer your questions directly, yes, it's possible for worsening - particularly if a secondary bacterial infection arises. If your chickens have been stable, however, for a week, I wouldn't expect worsening at that point. Yes, the great majority of chickens suffering from either of those bacterial infections recover unaided. They may remain carriers, however, for an indeterminate length of time; hence, the recommendation not to bring new chickens in for 6 months.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, the chickens have been sneezing for well over a week, it isn't all the time by no means, its just there, they have not got any worse like I say it bugs me more than them, the cock is the bird that brought it in but he has been showing no other signs either, and he has been sneezing for a good 3 months again not every minute of the day, its just noticeable. so am I right in saying that over the next few months the symptoms will disappear of their own accord?

sorry to ask so many questions but like I say it bugs me more than them.

Yes, your other birds should mimic what you're seeing in the cock. Please remember that in order to clarify which infectious agent is responsible, you'll need to have one of your birds cultured or should you lose one, refrigerate (not freeze) it until you can have it necropsied. Your local vet should know to whom in your area the bird should be brought.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a month for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.