Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog of nearly 10 years.died early hours of today (25th feb

my dog of nearly 10 years.died early hours of today (25th feb 2014 ) I have taken usual precautions.ie:- wrapping in strong blanket for transporting to our garage in garden at rear of house. several layers . what is your advise ? I had asked to see my own vet ( but not available un til wed a.m. the next- necessary steps.0 i am quite anxious. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon,

I am very sorry to hear about Rosie's passing.
Now the necessary steps at this stage will depend on what you would like done with her body. If you wished for your vet to perform an autopsy, then it would be best to take Rosie into the vet practice so that her body can be chilled immediately until her vet is able to carry out the autopsy. This will preserve the body as it is and lessen deterioration due to decay which can interfere with determining the cause of death.

If you are not keen to have an autopsy, then one would need to consider what you would like done with her body. If you had space in the garden, you are allowed to bury her. But if you did want her cremated, this is again something that can be organized by the veterinary practice even if your vet is not available themselves. Cremation options usually are to allow them to go for a general cremation or to have their ashes back. In either case, the crematory companies do tend to collect the deceased from the vets. That said, you can phone your practice and see if you may deliver her directly to the crematorium if you wished.

Just to note, if your whole practice is closed with the vet away, you can speak to alternative local vets about holding Rosie in their chill until your vet is open for her to be transferred to. You can find local vets near to you via the RCVS register (HERE). And if your vet isn't open at all, this would be advisable since it would not be nice to have you store her in your garage for longer then was necessary (though if you are in the north it may be cool enough to preserve her body a wee bit --though you may want to put a tarp or bin bag underneath her).

Please take care & do let me know if there is any other information you need,
Dr. B.

Overall, the next step depends on your wishes for her at this stage.

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am most grateful for the advice I received. We were fortunate to be able to have an Autopsy--giving us peace of mind as to exactly why our pet became so ill so quickly. We are able to accept the findings. And will have the ashes returned to our address. to scatter in one of her favourite areas in our garden. with Sincere thanks. J.W. (Suffolk.)

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Dear Judith,
You are very welcome and I am glad that I was able to help you take the appropriate steps to preserve her for the autopsy and that answers were found to why she had passed so suddenly.
Please take care,
Dr. B.