Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi, we have a female cat approx 20 years old, she has always

we have a female cat approx 20 years old, she has always lived outside, but since this January we have decided to keep her indoors which she is now accustomed to.
We feed her IAMS biscuts, and half a packet of IAMS (soft food) as well as treats like tinned tuna, and fresh fish when we have some ourselves.
Anyway she has just started to pass blood in her urine, she doesn't seem to be in pain and just acts like her normal self, do you have any ideas?

Rob
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

While younger cats are rather resistant to bacterial urinary tract infections, elderly cats may have less resistance, so that would be a likely cause for blood in the urine in this case.

Dr. Drew :

other causes can include non-infectious bladder inflammation, known as idiopathic cystitis,

Dr. Drew :

or more serious issues such as bladder stones, bladder polyps, or tumors (cancer),

Dr. Drew :

blood clotting problems can also cause bloody urine, as can some types of kidney disorders.

Dr. Drew :

As you can see, there's many possible explanations,

Dr. Drew :

and without a urinalysis/x-rays/ultrasound, it's difficult to fully eliminate all these possibilities.

Customer:

would a slight change in diet help? maybe more soft food and less biscuits?

Dr. Drew :

unlikely, except in the case of idiopathic cystitis, in which case reducing dry food and increasing moisture intake "may" be helpful.

Dr. Drew :

the other issues will not be helped by diet, generally speaking.

Customer:

she is drinking more water, would this just be a case of biscuits and missing the moisture in wet food?

Dr. Drew :

drinking more water would suggest kidney problems and/or diabetes, as the most likely causes.

Dr. Drew :

both are common in elderly cats,

Dr. Drew :

and both can cause secondary bladder infections.

Dr. Drew :

if dry food is a recent introduction, then that could explain an increase in water intake,

Dr. Drew :

but if she's been eating dry food for a while now, I wouldn't link the two.

Customer:

the dry food has increased since January, she on ever ate biscuits once week before then

Dr. Drew :

well, then I suppose it's possible.

Dr. Drew :

hard to be sure without blood and urine tests

Customer:

ok many thanks we will monitor until this weekend and see what happens, my wife always fears the unevitable unfortunatly, but my wife has just picked he up now and she is purring like made?

Dr. Drew :

purring isn't always a sign of happiness, I've seen some severely ill and/or injured cats purr quite intensely. It is thought that purring may have some self-soothing effects for cats under severe stress.

Dr. Drew :

so be sure to keep her best interests in mind above all else.

Dr. Drew :

at 20 years of age, her internal systems are likely to be quite fragile.

Customer:

we always look after the cat very well, she is one of the family, is there anything we could pick up at a Vets that could help?

Dr. Drew :

A prescription for antibiotics would be worthwhile, based on the possibility of a bladder infection.

Customer:

ok thanks for that, we will go out now and purchase some

Dr. Drew :

Best wishes to you all.

Customer:

Many thanks for your help