Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

We took our springer walking in the woods last week,and since

We took our springer walking in the woods last week,and since then he has been tired a lot and off his food he was also sick the day after.
He was drinking a lot of dirty water when we were out walking,and we were wondering if he could have picked up an infection.he has eaten in the passed week, but more worried about the tiredness it's not like him!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does he have diarrhea?
2- When was the last time he vomited, the day before yesterday?
3- How old is he?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?
6- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
7- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello he is 1year old he was last sick last Thursday ,he has no other medical conditions he doesn't have any other symptoms, he doesn't have diarrhea and is still drinking well.just concerned that he seems more tired than usual and is off his food, only picking at it.he has not been sick since.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Any other symptoms?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello no other symptoms, his gums are pink and I cannot take his temperature
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Friend, a common parasite that is picked up by dogs from drinking dirty stagnant water is Giardia. One of the main symptoms seen with giardia is diarrhea, if he does not have diarrhea then the lethargy that you are seeing is not related to giardia. This is not related to the water. Lethargy and decrease appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. Possible causes could be anemia, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, your dog will need a hands on examination, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.