Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hi, I have a 5 yo gsp who was diagnosed with allergic dermatitis

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 5 yo gsp who was diagnosed with allergic dermatitis last July, the treatment started of as 3 x 5mg prednisolone tablets every other day but was changed, by another vet ate the same practice, to one and a half tablets every day. Things went very well and the improvements were very quick to be seen until the skin problems had completely cleared up, only downside was that the dog was eating just about anything he thought was food, but we could live with that. In early January I called the vet for a repeat prescription but he said the dog should "come off" the prednisolone as he didn't think it was good to be on the medication long term and instead suggested we bath him at least once a week using Malaseb, we've done this but the poor dog is as bad as he has ever been. Any idea as to what our next course of action might be? Thanks......Joe.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Certainly, long-term use of steroids such as prednisolone, is best avoided.

Dr. Drew :

There are many side effects that we need to worry about, aside from the increased appetite.

Dr. Drew :

There are several other things that can be tried,

Dr. Drew :

simply bathing in Malaseb once a week isn't likely to address the cause of the itching,

Dr. Drew :

so if that's all that your vet has offered instead of prednisolone,

Dr. Drew :

you may need to seek a second opinion.

Dr. Drew :

Typically, itching that improves with prednisolone quickly, would be likely to be associated with environmental allergies, also known as atopy or atopic dermatitis.

Dr. Drew :

Food allergy is less likely if prednisolone was very helpful.

Dr. Drew :

allergy testing can be done, to determine what the allergy is the result of,

Dr. Drew :

and then a desensitizing serum can be ordered, to be administered by injection every few days for 10-15 months,

Dr. Drew :

which may over time reduce the issue, perhaps permanently.

Dr. Drew :

other immediate options include fish oil (1000mg per 10 pounds body weight /5kg body weight), daily.

Dr. Drew :

antihistamines such as DIphenhydramine, 1mg per pound / 2mg per kg every 12 hours, or newer antihistamines such as Loratidine, 5mg every 12-24 hours.

Dr. Drew :

Bathing every 2-3 days with a soap-free oatmeal shampoo can be helpful to strip allergens from the skin.

Dr. Drew :

Malaseb is very harsh and drying, it's an antibacterial/antifungal soap,

Dr. Drew :

and is not appropriate unless there's evidence of infections in the skin.

Dr. Drew :

Also, the topical product "Allerderm Spot-On" can be applied weekly to improve the skin's defenses against allergens entering.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info Dr Drew, is the desensitising serum a prescription only item and can it be administered at home?

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.
yes, it is only available through a licensed veterinarian, but you can administer the injections at home without a veterinary visit.