Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my came into season two weeks ago and unfortunately was

my bitch came into season two weeks ago and unfortunately was in contact with an entire dog (my daughter's family pet) in the house for approximately five minutes before I came into the room and took her away. However yesterday I noticed that she had stopped spotting and wondered if the journey from London to LIncoln and the house move had upset her.Today she is not spotting but I cannot imagine that my daughter's dog could have mounted her and impregnated her in the space of five minutes.......or could he???
I am desperately short of money as I am in receipt of pension credits and the move has taken all my money and I have to survive until next week. I would be very grateful for your advice. Mrs XXXXX XXXXXon
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Moth's exposure to an intact male while in heat.

If Moth were truly only with him for 5 minutes and they weren't tied when you came into the room then odds are he did not mate with her and she isn't pregnant. When dogs mate ideally they should "tie" and remain connected for a period of time to allow sperm to be ejaculated and passed to the female. This should last 5 to 10 minutes. While it is possible for pregnancy to occur without a tie, it isn't very likely.

It also sounds like she wasn't in her fertile period when she was with him if she still had a bloody discharge. A bitch's heat cycle is about 3 to 4 weeks in length. The first week to ten days she should have a swollen vulva and bloody discharge. This is usually not her fertile period. The second week to ten days her vulva should be very swollen, her discharge should be clear mucous to straw colored in character, she will "flag" her tail, and stand to be bred. This is her fertile time. The third week her vulva will still be swollen though less so, she will have little to no discharge, and will not stand to be bred. This is also usually not a fertile period.

Though it is possible that she is pregnant the odds of it are very, very low. Once she is past this heat I highly recommend having her spayed so you don't need to worry about this again.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.