Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, I have an abandoned dog - American Staffordshire who is

Customer Question

Hi, I have an abandoned dog - American Staffordshire who is approx 6 years old & has Leich for which he takes a tablet a day. As we live in the Algarve in a rural setting I contacted our vet here to enquire about flea & tick prevention injections. However he is of the opinion that the flea collars are better.

As I have an allergy to bites of any kind I am eager to find the best solution for both my dog & myself. Given the climate here is very hot I am keen to ensure my dog is protected.

I would like your opinion as to the best flea prevention for my dog given his medical condition.

Jacqui
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Customer: Hi
Scott Nimmo :

Hello, my answer is simple, if I were you I would go for Frontline Spot on, it is very easy to apply and very effective indeed.

Customer: That was my preference but the vet here thinks that Frontline is too expensive & ineffective?
Scott Nimmo :

And it is available in Portugal : LINK

Customer: Thank you I will pass this to my vet
Scott Nimmo :

Well it is on eof the more expensive products but all I can say is that I am based in The Philippines where parasites are a real problem and I use Frontline on my own dogs.

Scott Nimmo :

I can buy cheaper products in the mall { very much cheaper } but they are pyrethrin based and not so good in my experience ...

Customer: I do agree I have had pedigree cats in the past & always used Frontline but as most people in Portugal put cost first I suspect that is why my vet here tried to persuade me to a cheaper solution.
Scott Nimmo :

I have to say that being based here I can understand that, people are amazed sometimes on what I spend for my dogs and cats :-)

Customer: I know the issue here is the vast numbers of abandoned dogs & cats & even sterilisation is seen as a luxury
Customer: Thank you for your help