Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi we had to have our hampster put to sleep today it started

Customer Question

Hi we had to have our hampster put to sleep today it started as a black scab looking thing on his belly we were given antibiotics 2 weeks ago I took him back today as the scabs had spread all over his under body on his paws and started to go onto his nose , he was walking on 3 legs and the vet said the lump now a hard mass had pulled his little leg up in to it , ans she said he really smelt very bad today as if he was decomposing although he was still eating and drinking quite well as we weighed him regular , can you shrewd and light as to what you think his condition was please
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I am so sorry for your loss of Billy, and you have my deepest empathy! Over the years I have enjoyed several little hamsters, and losing each one was so difficult (to say the least).

Dr. Barbara :

It sounds to me from what you have described that Billy had some kind of tumor (benign or malignant) that grew and did not continue to have a good healing blood supply. This does happen quite often with tumors and the centers become very necrotic and smelly.

Dr. Barbara :

In little animals like hamsters, these tumors can be quite debilitating very quickly because they are so small. The tumors just "over take" the animal, and it sounds like this was happening for Billy. Not only was his leg involved, but also his chin.

Dr. Barbara :

Does this seem to match what you were seeing with Billy?

Dr. Barbara :

As to the cause of the tumor(s), this may have been a mammary gland tumor. That would be my best guess from what you have described and from what I have experienced.