Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi, my parents budgie has what looks like a blister under

Customer Question

Hi, my parent's budgie has what looks like a blister under one of its eyes. It started with having a featherless patch and then puffed up. It popped about three weeks ago (they bathed it) and the feathers seemed to be growing back. But I visited today and it's swollen again .....it seems well otherwise though I know they hide their symptoms well. What can I do to help it? I worry about taking it to the vet!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I applaud your concern for your parent's budgie, Sarah. You've described a sinus infection that has become severe enough to erode through the skin above the sinus. This is best addressed with systemic antibiotics prescribed by a vet experienced in treating birds. Over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in pet birds' water aren't expected to be drunk enough to be of value.

A liquid antibiotic such as enrofloxacin, tetracycline, or chloramphenicol can be administered by eyedropper for a period of 10-20 days in order to eradicate such a stubborn infection as is seen in the sinuses of these budgies. Please call your local veterinary association for a list of avian-oriented vets in your parent's area or perhaps google "avian veterinarian/(your city)".

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.