Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has diorhea and vomiting and seems to be shaking and

Customer Question

My dog has diorhea and vomiting and seems to be shaking and unsteady on his feet?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Alfie has a mild digestive distaurbance caused by something he may have ingested or stress. The reatment for this is as follows:

Fast Alfie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Alfie Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean Alfie back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take him to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection..

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Nick, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Alfie is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a wonderful day!

Good morning, Nick. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Alfie. Is he doing any better? Thanks!