Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

our rabbit has been passing loose pooh for about a week now

Customer Question

our rabbit has been passing loose pooh for about a week now and has had to be bathed on more than one occasion however he is his normal self eatting and drinking normally
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does Boris 's feces look like diarrhea or are the pellets just soft?

Have you noticed him eating less hay? Perhaps preferring softer foods?

Any changes to thirst or urination?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

pellets are soft

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Jane,

I assume since you didn't note any changes to his grazing habits, urination, and thirst that these are normal as well. The reason I asked about these is because we can see soft stools arise secondary to other conditions. For example, if a rabbit has dental issues starting to cause trouble, they often selectively graze in the early stages. This means avoiding roughage and therefore giving us soft stools. So, that can be an early warning sign that his mouth needs checking. Furthermore, we can see systemic diseases (ie organ troubles, metabolic disease, etc) again lead to imbalance in the GI and abnormal feces. And of course, GI infections (ie bacteria, protozoa, parasites, etc) can always cause fecal issues.

That aside, if we are just looking at soft pellets and everything else is normal for Boris, then I would suggest that initially you can try to increase his fiber intake via increasing his dietary roughage.

If he isn't keen to eat more hay for us, then the next option would be to use a high fiber pelleted diet called Pro-fiber Pellets (LINK). These can be fed on their own or mixed into the current diet to increase his GI fiber load and firm up his feces. Alternatively, you can use Fiber Plex (LINK), a fibre paste supplement that you can administer orally. Both of these are available over the counter at the vets and will just bulk up this feces and settle any GI microflora disturbance for him.

If you try this and are still struggling, then that would be a stage to consider disease processes of the GI. Typically at that stage, we'd want to think about worming him (using a rabbit safe wormer like Panacur for rabbits) and possibly having a fecal sample tested. Depending on the results of the fecal sample, this would let you determine if there wsa something afoot and what could be used to clear it for him.

Overall, a bit of soft feces can arise for a range of reasons. If he is otherwise well, then I would suggest increasing his fiber intake at this stage. If his feces remain soft despite this, then we have to assume he may be pretending all is well and we' d need to look into those other causes for abnormal stools.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )