Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

i have an 9 week old puppy who has diaorria and it has blood

i have an 9 week old puppy who has diaorria and it has blood in it
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for your puppy.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Viral disease (especially parvo). Even if he has received his first vaccination.

Red blood in the stool is known as hematochezia.
Hematochezia in Dogs

Common causes can include:
1. Straining to defecate due to constipation
2. Toxin exposure
3. Stress colitis (common when a dog is startled by loud noises, having strangers at the house, a change in routine)
4. Intestinal parasites (not necessarily worms, but the microscopic bugs like giardia or coccidia)
5. A bleeding polyp or tumor in the colon (large intestine)
6. Dietary indiscretion (ate something you do not know about)
7. A foreign body that is trying to move through small or large intestinal tract.
8. Bleeding disorder including if rat/mouse bait has been recently ingested.

If he is still eating and drinking good, that would be a huge positive. If not eating, you can give him a little karo syrup or pancake syrup to try and help raise his blood sugar level a bit and feel better.

But, he definitely needs to get into a vet. AT this age, he will quickly dehydrate with diarrhea, and lose body mass.

Wish we had an easy way to treat him at home, but well worth a vet visit.

You can offer some cooked white rice with his food.

If available, a little kaopectate or pepto is okay. Regardless of what is below, I would only give one dose and get into a vet.

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.
Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 10 pounds, they would get a total of 10ml a day or 3ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

A puppy probably should only get 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon at most.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have an appointment on 6th march at vets should i take her sooner than this to get her treated

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely!
If this is some other issue like parvovirus, coccidia or giardia infection, it will get a lot worse very very quickly. I would schedule as soon as possible for some supportive medication and maybe a basic test or two.

Not worth the wait and see approach. For a 40 pound 4 year old dog, there is some time to work with.
A 9 week old puppy can deteriorate very quickly, so better to tackle the problem now.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy