Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Our jack Russel has recently passed loose stools with some

Our jack Russel has recently passed loose stools with some signs of blood in them, he seems fine in himself, wet nose, good appetite etc, what could be the matter with him please ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1: Not that we are aware

2:No

3: No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kevin, when we see blood and loose stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon), he has colitis. There are many different conditions that cause colitis in dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I would recommend you consider a hands on examination with family veterinarian to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the loose stool with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter