Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Help! 7 month old male shih

I've just recently brought a 7 month old male shih tzu, we've had him now for 3 days. He wont eat or drink water he just has a sniff & walks away, he still has lots of wees & poos throughout the day & he seems settled enough, we have even bought bottled water to try too. What else can i do? Please help.
Amy Richards
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response, it appears no experts were available when you posted your question. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he getting human food?
2- Are you offering the same food that was given by previous owner?
3- Any vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, etc.?
4- Is he lethargic?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, no we dont give him human food. He has eaten his food this morning & i added water to his wet food & he ate it but thats the only way he'll drink water or by a syringe. He has pooed but them seem a little hard too. We have given him the same breed food but he was on adult but we've given him puppy. He was a little bit sick this morning but it seemed very watery/phlemy, but he did eat a bit off a weed & mud from the garden yesterday. He also seems a little sleepy today, but if anybody comes to the house he's awake & active a loves to be fussed by people when they come to the house. I did take him for his first walk yesterday but think it was a little bit too long long for him.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Amy, urine production is directly related to water intake so if he is urinating normally then it is safe to assume he is getting sufficient water. It is also important to remember that food also has water and will help in hydration. The same is true for the feces, if he is defecating then he is eating. Very often dogs are nibblers where they eat a little at a time and not all at once. What you can do to increase the palatability of the food is add some wet food mixed with the hard food. Offer the food and give him 15-20 minutes to finish all of the serving, if he doesn't you take the food away to be offered at next scheduled serving. Finally, take him out for longer walks or play time, activity increases appetite.
If he vomited this morning and is eating weed it is possible that his appetite is off because of an underlying gastrointestinal problem. There are many possible causes for vomiting, in a puppy common causes are intestinal parasites, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth).
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet as discussed above.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter