Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

suddenly started drining excessive amounts of water. noticed

Customer Question

suddenly started drining excessive amounts of water. noticed what we think is arthritis in right forelimb. appetite fine. sleeping a lot but he is 11/12 years of age. still enjoys play fighting with his brother. recently had fight with cat who came through our cat flap. has two wounds, one over each eye and numerous scratches.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Smudge's increased water consumption, lame right forelimb, and increased sleeping.

It is possible that the cat fight caused a puncture wound that allowed an infection into one of his joints in his right forelimb and that has led to his lameness and lethargy. Infections can cause increased water consumption as well.

At his age it is also possible that the fight isn't the cause of his lameness or increased water consumption, but rather he may have a mass that is causing his lameness and is affecting his blood calcium levels and increasing his water consumption.
The other possibility is that he has two problems at once, arthritis and internal organ disease (kidney or liver disease or diabetes).

Whatever is going on with Smudge it does sound like he needs a veterinary examination and some basic blood tests, including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile, and T-4 as well as a urinalysis.

You can warm compress his wounds from the cat fight and encourage them to drain should an abscess be present, as that will help him if an abscess is present.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.