Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

labrador excessive salivation and a frothy type discharge from

labrador excessive salivation and a frothy type discharge from mouth will not eat espec solids
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Tara's excessive drooling and frothy discharge around her mouth. I believe the froth is simply saliva mixed with air.

Drooling can be a sign of nausea but it can also be a sign of oral pain due to an infected tooth or a foreign body caught between her teeth, on the roof of her mouth or in the back of her throat. Sometimes it is a sign of an oral tumor.
It can also be due to a nerve problem that is making it difficult for her to control his tongue or close her mouth properly.
Rarely this is related to a nerve and muscle problem which causes difficulty swallowing food called megaesophagus.

Since she isn't eating solids that makes me more concerned about mouth pain or a nerve problem. Does she seem to be able to grasp food normally, drink normally and chew food normally once it gets in her mouth?

Finally it can also be a response to eating a bitter bug or plant piece. If it comes along with facial swelling or hives it could be related to an allergic reaction. If this has been going on for several days though these things are much less likely.

I recommend looking in her mouth if she will let you. Look under her tongue, up at her hard palate and at her rear teeth if she will let you. Look closely for swelling, reddened areas or any sign or trauma or a foreign body.
Sometimes it takes a very close look under sedation to find the problem.

If her symptoms worsen after eating perhaps they are related to nausea. You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. I know that you have tried Zantac and Gaviscon but there are a couple others I like better. Either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tablet per 9 to 18 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and may help settle her stomach. These are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

A couple hours after the acid reducer is given you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick.

If that goes well then late today or tomorrow start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 plain, boiled, white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back over a period of 5 to 7 days.

If she attempting to vomit but unable to do so, her belly looks at all distended or she won't lay down and settle or she is pawing at her mouth or unable to drink water normally then I recommend she see a veterinarian immediately as this can also be a sign of bloat, a rare occurrence but life threatening if allowed to progress, or something stuck in her mouth.

If her drooling continues in spite of using an acid reducer and a bland diet then she should see her veterinarian for an examination, possibly sedation to look closely in her mouth and take dental radiographs and possibly a barium series of radiographs to evaluate her ability to swallow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.