Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have imported a very costly who has a hernia if I have

Customer Question

I have imported a very costly bitch who has a hernia if I have it repaired can I breed her,she has had 3 litters, all ok as far as remember. Advise please
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Grace's hernia and her suitability as a breeding bitch.

We do know that certain lines of dogs have a higher incidence of hernias, so it is likely that there is at least a partial genetic basis for developing a hernia. That means the predisposition for hernias developing in her puppies is higher then puppies from a dog without a hernia.
It is possible for hernias to develop secondary to trauma, especially from an overzealous bitch removing the umbilical cord and traumatizing the umbilicus.

Ideally dogs with hernias should not be bred. Even if you have it repaired, which would make pregnancy safer for her, I still don't recommend breeding her because of the possibility that she will pass on this defect to her pups.

I know that this is likely not what you wanted to hear as she was an expensive dog, but I feel that you are a conscientious breeder that wants to know the truth since you are asking this question.
Best of luck with your breeding program, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, she has had 3 litters,middle litter she had a C section on her 2nd litter. As the puppies were quite big, on her third litter 9 puppies and all ok, used different stud dog, so I'm pretty sure it is a scar from the operation, so she can still have one more litter?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the further information.
If she only developed the hernia after her caesarian section then this hernia is likely not a congenital defect hernia, rather it is due to poor healing or too much pressure on her incision before it had a chance to heal properly.
If that is the case then yes, she can be bred again without fear of her passing this to her pups. I would recommend waiting at least 6 months after surgical repair of the hernia for her to carry a litter though to allow proper healing.