petdoctor09
petdoctor09, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

my cat is an indoor cat i have noticed in the last couple of

my cat is an indoor cat i have noticed in the last couple of days that she seems to be losing her fur on her back where she keeps licking it shes 7 and a half years old is she okay
Expert:  petdoctor09 replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

It sounds as if Sox is fur mowing. Fur mowing occurs due to multiple reasons. It can happen because of anxiety, a flea allergy, contact allergies, pain, ectoparasites, GI parasites, or even systemic disease.

The first thing I would recommend would be to start her on a quality once monthly flea preventative. Cats can pick up fleas very easily (even indoor only cats can pick up fleas through screen doors or when they hitch a ride inside on our clothing). The most common cause of the symptoms you are describing is a flea allergy, so starting her on a flea preventative if she isn't already on one is a simple (relatively inexpensive) place to start.

As far as what flea preventative to use, you want to avoid permethrin based flea products (such as Hartz or Sargents) and sprays. The quality products are products like Frontline Plus, Advantage, Advantage Multi, or Revolution (to name a few).

My next recommendation would be to get her in to be examined by your regular veterinarian. He/she will be able to help rule out other causes of her symptoms (such as GI parasites, ectoparasites, and systemic disease) by running a few tests ( a fecal exam, bloodwork, etc.).

In case this is anxiety related, then you can try using a product called Feliway at home. This is a product that you can purchase from any pet store. It is a synthetic 'feel good phermone' that helps to calm cats. It comes in both a spray and in a plug in for the wall. You want to place it in a quiet area of the house that your cat spends a lot of time in.

If you would like to read more about fur mowing, you can visit the following link: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2565

Hopefully that answered your question. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns and I would be happy to elaborate further.

Thanks for using Just Answer and best of luck with Sox!