Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog is having a phantom pregnancy and seems to cry and search

Customer Question

my dog is having a phantom pregnancy and seems to cry and search for her pups how can I relieve her and stop the crying it is heart breaking, she is a big dog and I can't nurse her althought tries to sit on my knee ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, just to note in response to your mention of nursing Taylor, do make sure not to milk her, let her self-nurse, or overly handle her mammary glands. If she is bothering them often, then consider placing a t-shirt on her to keep them covered. The reason is because this will stimulate further milk production and prevent the false pregnancy from settling.

Further to this, while false pregnancies do usually settle on their own after a few weeks, if Taylor is having a very rough and emotionally draining time then I would suggest that you can consider having her vet dispense Galastop (More Info). Galastop is a medication that works to block the hormones that are telling her body that she has pups and needs to be making milk. With this treatment, we can usually get them milk to regress, settle the puppy seeking behavior, and get her back to normal.

Finally, just to note, if Taylor is prone to false pregnancies, then you may want to consider having her spayed once this is settled to prevent further ones for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )