Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years
24698571

Can a veterinary nurse enter a body cavity of a whelping

Can a veterinary nurse enter a body cavity of a whelping bitch?
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Dr. H and I would be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

What exactly do you mean by 'enter a body cavity?'

Customer:

I inserted my finger into the bitch to see if there was a puppy stuck in the vaginal passage.

Doctor H :

Okay, when did the whelping start?

Customer:

2 or 3 hours but she seemed quite distressed.

Doctor H :

Okay, has she had any puppies yet?

Doctor H :

And are you a veterinary nurse yourself?

Customer:

one dead. the reason I performed a manual examintation was because the bitch had teared away the next amniotic fluid bag and placenta. i was concerned with the welfare of the next puppy.

Doctor H :

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Doctor H :

As she been straining?

Customer:

very slowly

Doctor H :

And when did the last puppy come out?

Customer:

15-30 minutes before

Doctor H :

Before now?

Doctor H :

Any idea how many puppies you're expecting? Did she have an x-ray in the last few weeks?

Customer:

sorry the dead puppy was passed about 15-30 before the next bag was torn away. not quite sure if thats what you meant.

Doctor H :

Okay, how long ago total did that happen?

Doctor H :

Total?

Customer:

sorrry i didnt go further down message!. there was no xray at that point one was taken later

Doctor H :

Ha, no worries, you're doing really well

Doctor H :

Okay, how long ago total was the last puppy passed?

Customer:

my main coneren is have i broken

Customer:

any RCVS guidelines?

Doctor H :

With digital palpation of the birth canal?

Customer:

yes

Doctor H :

Are you a member of the veterinary profession?

Doctor H :

I take it you're a veterinary nurse?

Customer:

i am a rvn

Doctor H :

How aggressive where you?

Doctor H :

were*

Doctor H :

Was there any bleeding/do you think you caused any hemorrhage?

Customer:

i was as gental as a manual examination can be.it was one finger (i also have short fingers! so my entrance was not far)

Doctor H :

Yeah, I think you're fine.

Customer:

no bleeding that was unsual

Doctor H :

Besides, the RCVS covers veterinarians, not nurses.

Doctor H :

And you can say that you acted in accordance with being a concerned owner.

Doctor H :

Honestly I'm more worried about your bitch's puppies.

Doctor H :

She may benefit from oxytocin administration.

Doctor H :

But I don't think you placed your dog in overt harm by doing a mild digital exam.

Doctor H :

I wouldn't make a practice out of it, however

Customer:

sorry this is past event. i wanted some clarification on my part as nurse at work. in the end mum and 4 puppies are doing very well. thankyou for your help.

Doctor H :

Well was this your dog or a client owned dog?

Doctor H :

And was this done under the discretion of your vet or at your own?

Doctor H :

It's different if it's a client-owned dog and a veterinarian was on duty

Doctor H :

I was under the impression that this was your dog, at home, and no vet was immediately available

Customer:

it was a client dog at work. the vet was coming and checking between consults this is now the issue, the vet left me to monitor the dog and be with dog, so it was me there when the she riped out the amniotic bag and placnta

Doctor H :

So if the veterinarian asked you to perform digital palpation then s/he was likely in the wrong

Doctor H :

Does the vet know you performed a digital palpation?

Customer:

i was not asked i saw the situation and acted upon it. yes she saw me but didnt say anything at time. this is why i trying to find out how much i am in the wrong as it is now being questioned.

Doctor H :

Technically what you did was wrong however I do not think it placed the animal in a great deal of danger or posed a risk to her.

Doctor H :

I think that if anything a short discussion should suffice to clarify that in the future you should bring it to the vet's attention and allow the vet to perform the exam.

Doctor H :

If they want to be jerks about it then they can make it into a big deal, but any violation on your part is minor.

Doctor H :

Plus you thought it was in the best interest of the animal at the time - did you know the vet was nearby?

Customer:

thank you when i meet with my boss i will be honest and admit of my wrong doing. i was acting on the situation not thinking about rcvs guidelines, i know much damage an manual examination can do so i was careful. the vet was in the next room. i agee that hignsight is good thing.

Doctor H :

I think what you did was very minimal and in light that it was done in the best interest of the animal I think the most it would deserve is a verbal warning. If they decide to fire you for it then you clearly don't want to be working there in the first place.

Doctor H :

Maybe a write-up.

Customer:

thats the feeling i am getting!!!!

Customer:

thankyou very much for help

Doctor H :

You're welcome, I hope it turns out for the better :)

Customer:

thankyou so do i!!

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years