Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

4 month old huskamutes on james wellbeloved junior have very

4 month old huskamutes on james wellbeloved junior have very bad diarrhoea always have tried different foods no joy any suggestions. dogs stay in different houses but have same problem which won't clear up. same litter as well
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So basically all the puppies have diarrhea even though they are not in the same house, correct?
2- Have they been dewormed? If so, what did you use?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

correct to first question .were dewormed when they got second jags at 12 weeks dob of pups 02 11 13 don,t know details of tablets supplied by vet sorry

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
William, the fact that all the puppies have diarrhea and in different homes intestinal parasites is the most likely cause. Often we need to deworm them more than once or the dewormer used by the vet does not treat the parasite that is causing the problem. For example, if the pups have coccidia and your vet treated with Strongid, the strongid will not treat against coccidia. I would strongly recommend deworming in the following manner:

1- Panacur (fenbendazole) at a dose of 50mg per kilogram body weight once a day for 3 days. Repeat after 3 weeks. This dewormer will treat against most of the common parasites that affect dogs except coccidia. You can buy panacur online (amazon.com), vet's office and in some pet stores.
2- To rule out coccidia they need Albon (Sulfadimethoxine) at a dose of 55mg per kilogram body weight on day 1 (one), then, decrease the dose to 27.5mg/kg once a day for 9 days.

Note: Parasites like coccidia, giardia and whipworms are known to cause chronic diarrhea and be negative on routine fecal analysis for this reason it is important to deworm as describe above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter