Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Our little cat has had two litters. She has currently been

Customer Question

Our little cat has had two litters. She has currently been in season, this spring, and we have noticed today that she has a opaque pinkish discharge coming out of her vaginal zone. She has been hugely hungry the last couple of weeks too. She is not a spring chicken, and has actually been a house cat most of her life. She has, however, been going into our garden for the last couple of months, chasing a bit of local rough! She's a silver tipped british shorthair.
other than giving birth, or losing kitten because of her age...is there any other element we should be concerned about? Thank you for this service.
best Miranda
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

The opaque discharge is likely to be associated with an infection in the uterus,

Dr. Drew :

known as Pyometra.

Dr. Drew :

This can become quite a serious problem,

Dr. Drew :

if the cervix closes. Right now, it's open, so there's visible discharge,

Dr. Drew :

but with a closed cervix, that discharge is trapped inside,

Dr. Drew :

and the uterus can rupture, with fatal consequences.

Dr. Drew :

I would have to strongly recommend veterinary attention,

Dr. Drew :

at a minimum Lina would need antibiotics and hormone treatments to expel the infection from the uterus, but ideally, she should be spayed.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

With the cervix open. is it possible she may produce a kittenShould I take her to our emergency vet now?

Dr. Drew :

it would be exceptionally unlikely for her to be pregnant with a live kitten, given the description you have provided.

Dr. Drew :

if emergency care is available, that's the safest option, though an open pyometra is not nearly as urgent as a closed pyometra.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

Because of her age?

Dr. Drew :

no, because of the opaque copious discharge.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

Her sister didn't have a discharge like this. She had a really bad infection after returning from the breeders. she was distressed. So the opacity of the discharge would imply infection?

Dr. Drew :

yes, typically an opaque discharge suggests the presence of white blood cells, responding to a bacterial infection.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

so the opacity of the discharge is the sign of danger. I don't really know what a promote is.How would I know if it was closing or open?

Dr. Drew :

promote? n

Dr. Drew :

not sure what you mean by promote...

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

Sorry PYROMETER --what is it?

Dr. Drew :

And in response to open/closed, I explained that above, I will re-enter it here if you did not see it:

Dr. Drew :

5:48 PM

known as Pyometra.

5:48 PM

5:48 PM

5:49 PM

5:49 PM

Dr. Drew :

I hope that provides the information you're seeking. Let me know if not.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

The discharge is pink. she gets distressed in the car, \i don't want to exacerbate the matter by distressing her further...but if she is under threat i will take her immediately!

Dr. Drew :

She will need to be seen by a veterinarian, whether you choose to do so today or to wait until tomorrow, that's up to you, I cannot make that decision for you.

JACUSTOMER-qjzusqse- :

sorry, its this key board. i mean pyometer..