Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my boxer is 4 years old has head tilt to the right have seen

Customer Question

my boxer is 4 years old has head tilt to the right have seen vet ear drops and week of antibiotics then x ray ear wash referred to a specialist had a ct scan show signs of both ear canals are narrow and show sighs of chronic long term inflammation there was fluid in the right ear this was sent for test foot and ear smear found large numbers of yeast a neurological examination confirmed that the head tilt is due to peripheral vestibular disease
ie the neurological problem is in the his inner ear and not originating from the brain
the ear drum in both ears was intact this suggest that his middle and inner ear disease may be a separate problem to his ear infections I had a choose of mri scan or prednicare 5mg 4 a day for 30 days he on the tablets now should I go for the mri scan as there this no change at this time
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear about Cooper's situation. Based on your history, you have done everything right here. Unfortunately, if he has not shown any changes with this long course of steroids, we have to assume that something is present in the inner ear that is not responding to anti-inflammatory treatment. This suggests that the underlying cause of his signs is not an inflammation of a component of the inner ear but something more. Therefore, in this instance, an MRI would be indicated to identify the abnormal non-steroid-responsive lesion that is inducing his signs (especially as conservative treatment has failed and there are limited options at this stage).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )