Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has been coughing for two weeks now I have given her

My dog has been coughing for two weeks now I have given her baby beynlin for two daysWhat else can I do she is female
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Betty is unwell. Now Benylin is just a cough suppressant. This means that it make the throat less tickly but it won't address the cause of her coughing. Therefore, if she is still coughing with this treatment alone, it means you are missing the cause and need to be treating that to settle the cough.

Now can you tell me if you have only been treating her with cough syrup?

Has she been checked by a vet at all for her cough?

Has her heart been listened to (since we can have coughing secondary to heart conditions)? Her lungs listened to (to make sure there is no pneumonia)? Her throat evaluated (to rule out problems there)?

Does she ever eat slugs or snails?

Have antibiotics been tried?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have spoken to a vet who said it sounded like kennel cough I have give her slippery elm bark tablets she is eating her food and she still runs around and very playful the coughing is we're through the night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Steven,

While a cough may sound like that induced by a particular condition (ie kennel cough is often said to be a "harsh goose honk of a cough"), I am sure you can appreciate that one can only speculate on the causative agent based on the sound and history of the dog. This means that since she isn't improving that we have to consider other conditions. Furthermore, we have to consider that Betty perhaps could have kennel cough (KC) and that she is struggling to clear it without antibiotics (especially since she is so young and will not have the robust immune system of an adult dog).

In any case, if she has had this cough for a fortnight and it is not clearing, then we need to consider taking further steps here. Specifically, it would be prudent to have a check-up. The vet can listen to her heart to make sure that isn't an issue here. They can also palpate her trachea to ensure upper airway issues (ie collapsing trachea) is not to blame. Further to this, they can listen to the lungs and assess their health (especially prudent since the bacteria that causes KC (Bordetella) can spread to the lungs to cause pneumonia. Furthermore, if there is any suspicion of lung involvement or she is a snail/slug eater, then we'd need to consider and rule out lung worm.

Depending on the findings of an exam, it may just be a cause of putting her on a course of antibiotics to address the bacterial suspicions and treat her with an Advocate to address any lung worm risk. If the vet hears serious changes in the lungs or she doesn't respond to the treatment, then we might have to consider advanced diagnostics like x-rays or scoping the lungs.

In any case, the treatments you have tried so far only work to allay the associated inflammation and soreness that triggers coughing. The underlying issue sounds not to have been identified and not to have been treated. While one may consider supportive care only (as was here) to let the pup's immune system try to clear the agent, it sounds like Betty is struggling to do so. And with this having gone on already for a fortnight, we'd really need to consider re-evaluation at this stage. And if those more worrying issues (of hearts and lungs) are ruled out, then we'd potentially need to consider giving her a helping hand by treating those common agents for coughs in pups.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )