Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Can Cyrin(medroxyprogesterone) be used to bring a in

Customer Question

Can Cyrin(medroxyprogesterone) be used to bring a bitch in sesone? Thanks and can we mate her when she do come in seson?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Although there are no approved methods of bringing a bitch into estrus, after confirming a progesterone concentration <1 ng/mL, administering 1 Ovuplant (deslorelin implant) under the subvestibular mucosa of the vulva should induce proestrus withinin 10 days. Medroxyprogesterone would be contraindicated as progesterones maintain pregnancy rather than induce estrus (heat).

Please note that continued release of deslorelin from the Ovuplant implant may result in pituitary downregulation and premature luteal* failure. To prevent premature luteal failure, remove the implant once serum progesterone concentration is >2 ng/mL. You'll need to work closely with Spot's vet if you choose to go this route. Yes, Spot can be bred following treatment.

*The corpus luteum is the structure that the follicle which has released an egg becomes and it secretes progesterone which supports pregnancy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was advised that and then give clomid I think they were tablet form thanks
Thank you for the additonal information. I can't find any scholarly literature discussing the value of clomiphene in dogs vis a vis ovulation - only its effect on the adrenal gland and a few biochemical markers in the blood. I'm afraid I can't help you in that regard.

I'll opt out which will give other vets an opportunity to chime in. Please don't respond to this post which will dissuade other vets from commenting. There's no extra charge to you.