Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat was recently diagnosed with a stroke (loss of use of

Customer Question

My cat was recently diagnosed with a stroke (loss of use of back legs) from which he seems to have recovered. They said he had a heart murmur. He was given 5 mg aspirin to take for 7 weeks (twice a week) which he finished this week. When I took him to the vet they gave him a further amount of aspirin or 2 months but these were 75mg. I queried this as it was a much higher dose (the amount taken by a human) + Fortekor 2.5mg (once a day). I asked the vet if this was the correct dose and she confirmed it was and that the 5mg on the first bottle must have been a typing error. I am still worried about giving him these as I don't want him to take an overdose.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The recommended dose of aspirin for cats when we're interested in preventing abnormal blood clotting (antiplatelet activity) is 81mg/cat every 48 hours. 81mg is the size of the usual "baby" or "cardiac" aspirin. Milo has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease) which is thromboembolic (promotes the formation of blood clots). Loss of use of his hind legs indicates a saddle thrombus - a blood clot where his aorta divides into his hind legs which reduces blood flow to those legs and results in paresis (weakness) or paralysis.

Although commonly prescribed, there is no evidence that the use of aspirin for this purpose is of value. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe they gave him a scan at the hospital which showed other possible blood clots which could be activated. however I think the aspirin is making him vomit, so as you say there is no evidence aspirin is no value in these cases. I will discuss this with my vet. Thank you.

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, aspirin should be discontinued if gastrointestinal distress has arisen. Yes, I consider aspirin to be a placebo for the owner when attempting to address thromboembolism in cats. The conventional drugs used in humans - streptokinase, urokinase, and heparin - have been found to be either too dangerous or ineffective in cats.

You're quite welcome. My best to Milo.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up from the site ostensibly from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.