Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my cats fur falling out she has big bald patch and her skin

my cats fur falling out she has big bald patch and her skin has lots of red bits I have treated her for fleas but not sure wat to do as I am disabled and have a broken leg and im worried
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns Honey's fur coming out, and red areas on her skin.

The most common reason for these symptoms is flea allergy dermatitis. Flea allergy dermatitis is horrible. In allergic cats it only takes one bite a month for them to itch like crazy. If you don't see any fleas you might not have a huge population and if she is very allergic she may be removing any the evidence with her excess grooming. If you have other pets who aren't itchy they may not be allergic. Ideally you need to apply effective topical flea control every 3 weeks in an allergic cat. Many over the counter products have a problem with fleas being resistant and some can be down right dangerous. I never recommend any products that Bob Martin, Hartz or Sargent's make. I recommend Advantage II or Frontline Plus every 3 weeks for at least 4 months for indoor cats and all year round for cats that go outside. All pets in the house must be treated as if you don't the nonallergic ones serve as a flea reservoir for the allergic one and you'll never solve your problem.

Inhaled allergies (to pollens, dust mites or mold spores) are another possibility.

To control allergic symptoms (from fleas or inhaled allergens) you can try:
1) Benadryl (diphenhydramine only, the combination products with decongestants and acetaminophen are toxic to cats) at 1mg per pound every 8 hours. That's a half of 25mg tablet every 8 hours for a cat that is 8 to 15 pounds.
OR
2) Chlorpheniramine at 2mg to 4mg once or twice daily.
Combined with high doses of omega-3 fatty acids antihistamines work to relieve her itchiness. I like 3V caps or Derm Caps. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 10mg to 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound cat could take 80mg to 160mg of EPA per day. Together antihistamines and omega-3 fatty acids work synergistically. These should help reduce the itch. Be aware that antihistamines can cause drowsiness or hyperactivity which should resolve with continued use.

Cool water baths with an oatmeal based shampoo can help as well, both to soothe the skin and rinse off allergens. Though the effects are temporary they can be part of the plan to help her. Make sure to wait 3 days after or give a bath 3 days before applying any topical flea products as they will be less effective if given too close to a bath.

Food allergy is another reason for excess scratching, especially of the ears, face and neck. You might wish to try a hypoallergenic food for 8 weeks or so. Full improvement may take 12 to 16 weeks but she should be better in 8 weeks. My suggestions are Hills Z/D or Royal Canin Duck and Green peas. She will need to eat only that food, no other treats or foods during her food trial.

If there are other cats in the home that she doesn't get along with or outdoors that upset her perhaps some of this is stress related. If so a product called Feliway, which is a synthetic version of a calming feline pheromone, may help. You can purchase this from petstores or online.

If she goes outside other contagious parasites like Cheyletiella, Demodex gatoi or Sarcoptic mange or ringworm are possible causes as well.

For now I would start with effective flea control, an antihistamine and omega 3 fatty acids. If she's not significantly better in 2 weeks then it's time for a veterinary examination to look further for problems and/or a hypoallergenic food trial.

Please let me know if you have further questions by replying to this post.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wat frontline and where would I get antihistamine as im housebound. she is an only cat and likes to sit in the sun but her skin is not raw just red bites

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
I'm very glad to hear that her skin isn't raw, but redness points toward inflammation and itchy skin.
Frontline Plus is a topical flea control product and you can order it online or buy it through pet store sites and have it sent to your home.
The antihistamines I mentioned are both used in people too. You can purchase them from drug stores without a prescription and they may have a delivery service that can bring them to your home.
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.