Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years
24698571

My Cat has Feline Pancreatitis.He is a 9 year old Birman It

My Cat has Feline Pancreatitis.He is a 9 year old Birman
It has been diagnosed and treated with antibiotics, and some morphine for the first phase.
this was 2 weeks ago. Initially improved but now is lacking appetite and looking listless and remote again> Currently feeding on Vet prescribed GI food along with Hills sachets. he hasn't eaten much at all and if presented with food eats the sauce only. Is there anything I can do to help him eat and get better quicker?
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I would be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

When this happened two weeks ago do you know how the vet diagnosed the pancreatitis?

Customer:

Ultrasound,

Doctor H :

Okay, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know if they happened to submit a quantitative level afterwards?

Customer:

In respect of what?

Customer:

The blood test was abnormal which was why they took him for the ultrasound

Customer:

High white blood corpuscles I think

Doctor H :

Well there are two blood tests - a snap and a quantitative. But it sounds like they didn't run anything after he returned to normal. Is that correct?

Customer:

I was shown the ultrasound scan. The area of the pancreas was darker and there was wincing on pressure to the stomach area.

Doctor H :

Right. Was anything run after Harris improved, though

Customer:

No sorry missed that reply.. We haven't returned to the Vet yet, although it looks likely if he doesn't start to eat again.

Customer:

Only been to the Vet the once.

Doctor H :

Okay, but he wasn't placed on any IV fluids or anything during that time?

Customer:

No

Doctor H :

Okay.

Customer:

She reckoned on it being dietary. Possibly being fed too much wet food over too long a period. Felix.

Doctor H :

I don't think that would necessarily be the cause.

Doctor H :

We're not really sure of the cause of acute pancreatitis in cats

Doctor H :

In dogs it can be due to diet, but not necessarily cats

Doctor H :

I would have him re-evaluated and determine if the pancreatitis has recurred

Customer:

he took the whole antibiotic course, and did temporarily perk up, however, but now going back into himself.

Customer:

Does it recur or simply persist?

Customer:

Are their any other foodstuffs I might try?

Doctor H :

Well, it can persist chronically and then the onset of signs recur

Doctor H :

Not necessarily, I would have him re-evaluated and investigate why it is back.

Doctor H :

I might consider a second opinion as well.

Customer:

Ok.. She said no signs of tumour

Doctor H :

That's good. When were the antibiotics discontinued?

Customer:

Vet fairly switched on I think, what might they have missed.

Customer:

Antibiotics stopped 6 days ago

Doctor H :

I'm sorry?

Doctor H :

Okay, when did the inappetance come back?

Customer:

Is there anything else that might be a cause?

Doctor H :

Yes - inflammatory bowel disease, small cell lymphoma, liver disease, metabolic disease

Customer:

Sunday.. and been listless since although today I thought a little worse

Customer:

Ok a whole heap of things. Would the blood test indicate these or would this be diagnosed by the ultrasound?

Doctor H :

Blood test will point towards liver or kidneys, it also sounds like his white count was elevated.

Customer:

One thing, he isn't eating solids, only tracy and has been having very small fluid excreta.

Doctor H :

You have to find cancers, so the ultrasound would help with that

Customer:

White count was up.

Customer:

She said no cancers as far as she could see.

Customer:

only gravy and has been having very small excreta

Doctor H :

It really depends on experience with ultarrasound - you mean diarrhea?

Customer:

Yes intermittent though.

Customer:

Initially he was straining and nothing coming out at all.

Doctor H :

I think there's something going on in the intestines which is causing the diarrhea and the issues with the pancreas

Doctor H :

See if she can refer you to a board certified ultrasonagrapher for a full scan and/or consult

Customer:

Sounds right, back to the Vet then.. Would an alternative Vet present alternative diagnosis do you think

Customer:

I will discuss with her the ultrasound, and get more detail.

Customer:

I think it was a pretty experienced operative

Doctor H :

Honestly, I'm not sure how they do that in the UK - here in the US you have general practitioners and specialists. We can do some stuff with ultrasound but we're not specialists.

Doctor H :

It's not a bad idea to get another set of eyes on things. I think that the recrudescence of the pancreatitis is concerning, especially in conjunction with the diarrhea

Customer:

Ah right you're in the US... thats the net for you. Yes the practitioners in London have a central hospital they take the animals to for deeper investigations with specialists etc.

Doctor H :

And was this done at one of those hospitals?

Customer:

Yes.

Doctor H :

Oh, so the ultrasound was done by a specialist

Customer:

No miracle cure obviously. Back tot he vet then. Any suggested foodstuffs?

Customer:

Yes

Doctor H :

No, the GI food should rest the GI tract enough.

Doctor H :

They may recommend some additional blood tests for the GI system.

Customer:

Ok.. Thanks for the info. Some of these things are impossible without seeing the animal I realise, i just thought if there were something I could be doing quickly then maybe I should be getting on with it.

Customer:

Before I go... where are you based?

Doctor H :

Understood, no, you're doing everything right. Also consider a B12 injection.

Doctor H :

Chicago - just another yank veterinarian I suppose :)

Customer:

B12 ok.. I was trying to give him some nutri gel but didn't seem to make much difference. Chicago...nice place...but freezing when i was there... Many thanks

Doctor H :

Yeah, it just start warming up - best of luck!

Customer:

Bye

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years