Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Have Dandie Dinmont, 27 months. Lots of illness, 2 x Meningitis,

Customer Question

Have Dandie Dinmont, 27 months. Lots of illness, 2 x Meningitis, possible epilepsy (was on Keppra, off now for 4 months), severe behavoural problems - have to have him sedated every 3 months to allow grooming. I call it his 3 month service, Vet checks everything from top to bottom. He had lumbar puncture and MRI scan last year - hydrocephallus Slipped his collar 2 days ago and won't allow me put back on. He has had 40mg of ACP last night, no joy. Vet now given me total of 5 diazepam to give him at one time - he is 14.2 kg and total diazepam is 25mg. Is this too much????

Sally (and Max)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Max. To answer your question directly, we can give up to 2mg/kg of diazepam every 4-6 hours when addressing behavior disorders in dogs. 25mg, then, is at the high range but benzodiazepines such as diazepam are very well-tolerated by dogs. I do have reservations, however, about the likely efficacy of even 25mg of diazepam if 40mg of acepromazine weren't helpful.

A more potent benzodiazepine such as alprazolam (Xanax) or clonazepam (Klonopin) should be considered but it's important to note that paradoxical excitement can also occur in dogs administered this class of drug - the last effect we would want to see in Max.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, again

I am getting ready to feed Max (and administer drugs). He has been sleepy today and not toileting well (dirty bottom, most unusual), don't know whether to give him drugs. However your response about 25mg dose is surprising, but gives me a little more confidence. Here's hoping and thank you.

Sally (and Max)

I'm not comfortable recommending 25mg of diazepam - or any sedative - if Max is already sleepy and showing symptoms of a medical disorder (dirty bottom). Can you postpone your dosing?

You're quite welcome.