Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years
24698571

My 14 year old female cat had started

Customer Question

My 14 year old female cat had started to lose weight, eventhough she was eating ok & seemed well in herself. Took her to the Vets, she had a blood test & there was a concern about one of her kidneys, they thought it was slightly failing. She was put on a 5 day course of antibiotics over Christmas. She was put on renal catfood & "Renalzin" pumped into her food, she ate this for a while, then, got fed up with it. She lost a bit of weight & I said that she did not like the food. It was then suggested to mix some of her ordinary cat food in with the renal food, she ate it then & within 2 weeks put some weight on. She had another blood test & the kidney reading had not increased & did not seem to be a cause of concern, however, the liver reading was higher than it should have been. She was put on a 15 day course of antibiotics. A scan was mentioned but for this she would have to have anaesthetic and we felt that she was too weak for that, so the idea was that after she had completed the antibiotics to give her another blood test & if the liver reading was still high, to do a scan. On late Monday, she started to get weak & wasn,t moving around much. Tuesday, she was still weak & she tried to walk & her back legs buckled, I was trying to help her & didn,t seem to like it, as cats are independent. Took her to the Vets & he examined her & said there was a tumour & that she had liver cancer, & then said in the next breath about having her put to sleep, which, I disagreed with. He then gave her a steroid injection. She was eating well & drinking water well yesterday & in herself she is aware of her surroundings. She is moving her head & front paws. She has not attempted to stand & sleeps a lot. I don,t want to take her back to see the same Vet, as he will again say about putting her to sleep, which, I don,t want to do. I have had her for 7 years next month, I think the world of her, she is the most lovely cat, don,t want to lose her, she is a house cat & I am at home with her all day. I vowed I would never give up on her & whatever it takes I want to help her. I am looking after her at home, handfeeding her, giving her water, keeping her comfortable & warm, comforting her,etc., I feel so upset, stressed & drained. Kindest Regards, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXX

Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I would be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

I' sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with Daisy.

Doctor H :

Was there any ultrasound scan performed to confirm the presence of liver cancer?