Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Siberian Husky always coughs after he has a dtink of water,

My Siberian Husky always coughs after he has a dtink of water, what could be the reason for this?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he vomiting or regurgitating?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Probably about 2/3 years

No vomiting, but tries to bring up something that may be in his throat, a fur ball I though

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
James, there are many possible causes for coughing after or during drinking. Common causes are: Nerve disorders affecting the larynx like laryngeal paralysis, enlarged esophagus (megaesophagus), auto immune disorders, etc. to name a few causes.
I would recommend you raise his drinking bowel up on a small stool to force him to raise his head while drinking, this simple adjustment will often help and may eliminate the problem. If he continues to cough after raising the bowl then then next step is a hands on examination with family veterinarian, laryngeal exam and xrays as initial screening test.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter