Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has had an upset stomach for about a week. It rated

Customer Question

My dog has had an upset stomach for about a week. It rated with the runs, then he started being sick. We have not fed him today but tonight he has blood in the vomit.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Benji. Loss of fluids and electrolytes from vomiting and diarrhea over a week's period will leave our patients dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced no matter what the cause of the vomiting and diarrhea. These patients are at risk of renal failure unless provided IV fluid and electrolyte supplementation.

Hematemesis - vomiting blood - should always be considered a very serious symptom requiring a thorough physical exam, hospitalization and critical care, diagnostics including a complete blood count, biochemical testing, and X-rays or ultrasound of the abdomen. Hematemesis may result from primary gastrointestinal disorders such as foreign body ingestion, malignancies, and severe infections as well as disorders outside the GI tract such as intoxications, acute pancreatitis, hepatitis, renal failure, and Addison's disease. It's not as important at this time to define why Benji is so ill as it is to treat him supportively until test results can be obtained.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you at this time. I, too, would need to examine and test him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.