Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I currently own 5 rescue dogs (4 Staffies 1 half american

Customer Question

I currently own 5 rescue dogs (4 Staffies 1 half american bull dog/British bulldog mix) and all of different ages. They all get lots of exercises (around 2hours of walking each day) and have a diet based on fresh meat and veg.
In the past year all but 1 dog has developed limps in varying degrees that has resulted in problems walking. In addition I had a very healthy 6th dog who recently died from sudden severe hemorrhaging (excact cause unknow as no perforations etc found in autopsy, but strong suspicion that next door neighbour poisened as has attempted this before - police involved).
I am worried that the others could be suffering poising effects too. I am at a loss as to what to do for my dogs as it is having a great impact on he quality of their life. Could poising cause limps or should I be looking at other causes?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with your dogs. To answer your question directly, I don't know of any poison that causes such symptoms. When so many dogs are affected, we need to examine the calcium phosphorus ratio in the diet you're providing. Has your vet checked the serum calcium and phosphorus levels of your dogs when they're symptomatic? Have X-rays been taken of any of the dogs? If so, has osteoperosis been noted?

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for the reassuring advice that poison is an unlikely cause for the dogs current problems. It has been a horrible few weeks and I wanted to rule out all different possibilities as to what is effecting my dogs.

My current vet has recently retired and unfortunatly myself and others have had numerous problems with the new practice. So yes even though I have paid for X-rays to be done on the 2 most effected dogs these have yet to materialise.

After receiving your e-mail I spoke with another vet and mentioned your advice with regards to the calcium phosphorous ratio. Based on the home diet I am providing he believes that the dogs may not be getting enough calcium for the size/weight they are and the high level of exercise they get. Both Daisy and Vinny will be having their calcium phosphorous levels checked tomorrow as well as X-rays for Vinny. In addition I have also started to add powdered eggshells to their food.

Thank you so much for your advice, it's really helped the ball rolling in the right direction. :)
I'm pleased to hear that this will be done. The powdered eggshells are excellent presumptive therapy. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.