Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 13 year old English terrier was diagnosed with nasal

Customer Question

My 13 year old English bull terrier was diagnosed with nasal cancer, the vet recommended to do radiotherapy, but am a bit scare about everything.Should I do it to maybe prolonged he's life??(iThink this will make him even more sic quikly, he is still a happy dog...Or shoud I let him leave he's life accepting the cancer and giving him all my love untill he leaves??
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Chino's terrible condition...I know how devastating this can be and you only want what is best for your precious guy.

This is a terrible cancer because it is so invasive and cannot be removed due to its position. Radiation treatment will slow down the growth of this mass and give Chino a longer good quality of life as apposed to you not doing anything. It does not have the bad side effects that it does in humans and will help Chino be pain free for a longer period of time.

I also say this because it appears that, since Chino is not showing any serous signs yet, that he is in one of teh first stages and this is where teh radiation will do the most good.

Check out this LINK....http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2012/aug/nasal_tumors_slow_and_insidious_killers-26882

this may help with this terrible decision that you will have to make for yoru precious Chino.

Again, I know this is very hard on you and Chino and I know you will do what is best for your precious guy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Maria, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know, Maria, that this is very hard on you and your family but I know you will do what is best for Chino....

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Chino is bleeding sametimes when he's sneezes, the vet said the tumour is quite big.He took long time to recover from the biopsy, so am a bit worried to make him have another anesthesia. Do you still recommend radiotherapy? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

HI Maria....I feel so bad for you...I cannot imagine having this happen to one of my kids (my dogs are my kids)....

Anesthesia on any older dog is hard and it is even harder on Chino because of his condition...you will have to weigh the options and pick the right one for Chino. I was not aware that it was as large as it is and this may not be a good option for Chino because anesthesia is necessary for these procedures.

If I were in your position, I would have another long talk with the Oncologist and talk about the consideration of the mass of this tumor and how invasive it is. The Radiationmay not be able to give Chino any more time if this is the case and, I am sure, Maria, that you want him to have a good quality of life, however long that will be. Now, knowing other facors, this may not be the best course of action for your precious Chino!!

Does that make any more sense, Maria? I cannot tell you exactly what to do but if you have more information, you can make a better decision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The largest measuring 0.4×1.5cm is this to big? To do samething?

That is not large but that is only what they can see,....there is no way to tell how invasive this is, Maria. These can grow very fast as well so even though it may not appear large now, it may double in size without any treatment...radiation may be able to decrease the extent of the growth.....it is really hard to know, Maria. I really worry that Chino had such a hard time with the anesthesia for the biopsy and more anesthesia may be even harder on him.

It may be worth a try after speaking to your Oncologist.