Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I just let my dog lick a tray that my husband had sprayed with

I just let my dog lick a tray that my husband had sprayed with Cif cleaning fluid, I note it contains Benzisothiaolinone and am now petrified I have poisoned him. Please help
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he licked the BIT?
2- Was the surface dry or wet?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He licked the tray about 30 mins ago. the surface was wet, but I thought it was oily from the potatoes we had previously cooked. He weighs about 36 kilos.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Glynis the main concern with BIT is that it can be very locally irritating to the oral cavity and gastrointestinal tract causing ulceration. You have done excellent in giving him milk to dilute the toxic potential. This is what you can do:

1- Rinse his mouth with plenty of water.
2- Do Not induce vomiting.
3- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth).
4- Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg every 12 hours for 1 week or Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy both over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
5- If during the next 2-3 days he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, behaving painful (arch back, restless,), etc. have him checked by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter