Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

what is the cause of my ewes getting pink eye and what can

Customer Question

what is the cause of my ewes getting pink eye and what can i do to treat it and prevent it in future
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now when ewes have "pink eye," we do need to appreciate that this is a non-specific term (like "eye infection") that is used to refer to a condition induced by a range of bacteria. Common specific primary causes include Chlamydia ovis and Mycoplasma conjunctivae but any bacteria can cause secondary infection in the wake of eye irritating triggers. Common triggers facilitating this type of infection include high levels of airborne dust, flies, hay traumatizing the eye, etc.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX we often will use broad spectrum treatment either via injectable (ie oxytetracycline) or topical antibiotic therapy. If we have resistant cases, severe cases or an outbreak in a flock, then we may need to take conjunctival swabs to send to the lab for bacterial culture and sensitivity. This tells us what bacteria is present and what antibiotics it is sensitive to so that we can target treatment effectively and clear the infection from the flock.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX this can be very difficult due to bacterial presence in the environment and the risk of carrier animals. Therefore, when trying to keep pink eye to a minimum, we tend to focus on keeping the flock stable, closed and healthy. If new animals (potential carriers) are introduced, they should be quarantined before joining the flock's airspace. Furthermore, we want to limit fly populations in the summer months and ensure that dust levels are as low as possible with good ventilation to lower the risk of spread.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )