Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My diabetic dog gloucoselevel is high what dog biscuits are

Customer Question

My diabetic dog gloucoselevel is high what dog biscuits are best for diabetic dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Millie!

We do find that some diabetic dogs can be difficult to stabilize on insulin. As long as your vet is sure there is nothing more going on to cause her diabetes (ie pancreatic abscesses, tumors, or hormonal diseases like Cushing's disease), then diet could aid you in stabilizing her a bit better on her insulin.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX we'd want to feed a diabetic dog, we tend to want diets that are high in fiber (since fiber slows blood sugar spikes, slows stomach emptying and slows carbohydrate digestion). As well, we want to avoid diets that are high fat (we'd aim for <30%) and high carbohydrate (our main glucose source). Examples of diets that can be helpful include Royal Canin's Diabetic Diet (LINK, Further Info - HERE), as well as Hill's W/D (which is high fiber -LINK), and R/D (which is low fat - LINK).

So, as long as your vet has ruled out other internal issues that could be negatively impacting Millie's stabilization, I would suggest that the above diets would be a positive step in trying to stabilize her diabetes.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )