Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

what are the causes on tendonitis apart from trauma, and what

Customer Question

what are the causes on tendonitis apart from trauma, and what pathological tests can you do to identify the cause?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
To answer your questions directly, tendinosis invariably represents an overuse syndrome. Our diagnosis is dependent upon physical exam, radiographic examination, advanced imaging such as ultrasound and MRI, and, finally, arthroscopic examination if necessary.

Jack's history of multi-limb lameness(?), however, isn't suggestive of tendinitis. I would be suspicious of a polyarthritis (immune-mediated, tick-borne diseases, e.g.), polyneuritis, or polymyositis, instead. Joint taps and testing for the tick-borne diseases present where you live plus seeing if immune-mediated disease markers are present (Coombs, ANA, LE prep, e.g.) should be considered. Rheumatoid arthritis does occur in dogs but is an uncommon, progressive, immune-mediated, inflammatory polyarthropathy as alluded to above.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.