Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my neutered mall terrier has lost 4kg from 28kg down to

Customer Question

my neutered mall bull terrier has lost 4kg from 28kg down to 24 kg over 3 weeks while in kennels (5 star kennels). I have increased his food since returning home 3 days ago by 50% but he has remained at 24kg . His behaviour seems normal although he seems to want to go out overnight to urinate and poo , whereas he always held it before until morning .
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me is showing any symptoms of any sort { no matter how minor } other than the weight loss?

JACUSTOMER-madqpmrc- :

He seems to have trouble holding his bowel and bladder movement overnight now . His stools seem normal . He appears to have a small small lump on his stomach . Otherwise he plays and behaves normally and his energy level is similar to before the weight loss , it just looks bad as now his bones are visible which is not right and he looks very underweight . His eating is normal , twice a day and eats everything straight away . skin looks normal as do eyes .

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for the info. There would be only two possibilities in this sort of case, one being that what you are seeing is due to some disease condition or other, you would go along way to ruling this out if you were to have your vet carry out a thorough clinical examination and run a blood panel. If this comes back as normal then the chances are that Alfie did not take to being in kennels and was stressed and did not eat. I have known this happen and in some cases it could take a couple of months or more for him to put weight back on.

Scott Nimmo :

You are doing the right thing with the increased plane of feeding but a vitamin B12 shot might help things along.

Scott Nimmo :

I think that's the best way forward, can I help you further? ...