Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 12 week old puppy seems to pass mucus when finishing passing

Customer Question

My 12 week old puppy seems to pass mucus when finishing passing urine. She does not appear unwell is eating well, drinks a fair amount and has plenty of energy. We have two other dogs who have no problems
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me if Tilly appears to continue to squat or strain after passing urine?

Does she appear to need to go more often?

Are the volumes of urine she is passing increased, decreased, or about the same?

Any accidents at home?

Are you seeing her licking or grooming her genitals more ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There seems to be no straining and does not urinate that frequently. We are still house training but she has very few accidents and lasts at least 8 hours at night. Volume is not huge, larger first thing in I the morning obviously but small amounts for the rest of the day. She is not licking herself more and the hair on her genitals ( she is a wire haired dog) is getting slightly crusty and sometimes leaves a mark on our clothes when sitting on our lap. There is no blood or anything in the mucus that I can see when catching it on a tissue.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Janet,

Now increased mucus production from the urinary tract and/or vaginal tract can arise for a few different reasons. Generally speaking, the main cause of increased mucus is irritation to these organs. The most common reason in young dogs will be urinary tract infections (UTI). Less common reasons for increased mucus from the urinary tract include bladder stones, urinary crystal issues, and bladder masses (much less likely for Tilly). As well, we can see vaginitis cause an increase in discharge (sometimes snotty if there is bacterial infection, but clear if there is just early stage irritation) and this can be passed when the dog urinates or we can see discharge crusting at the external portion of the genitals.

Now since she is otherwise well and not straining, passing small volumes of blood stained urine nor in discomfort, I would suggest that you consider collecting a urine sample from Tilly. This can be submitted to the vets and analyzed to tell you if there is any sign of infection (ie bacteria, white blood cells, microscopic levels of blood), and rule out other issues like urinary crystals (which can cause irritation in the bladder but can also be a precursor to stones) or glucose (a marker of diabetes). Depending on the findings of the urine sample, your vet may need to examine Tilly and if infection is present then antibiotics may need to be dispensed. And if the urine sample is clear, the discharge is determined to be from the vulva, then depending on its composition (ie if its snotty, pus like or has an odor) then again we may have bacterial culprits in needing to be addressed.

Just in case she does have the start of a bladder infection, while having the urine checked, I would suggest that you take some steps to increased urine dilution. To do so, you can try to encourage to drink more for you via offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Along with this, I would also advise upping their wet food portion of her diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Overall, we do have a few considerations when we see increased mucus production from the urinary and/or vaginal tract. In this situation, it would be prudent to have a urine sample checked to make sure nothing is amiss and to nip any issues in the bud. Depending on the results of the sample, this will direct you on what may need to be done to just settle this mild irritation for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )