Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

i have a budgie who is making excessive regurgitation moveme

i have a budgie who is making excessive regurgitation movement

Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Gregg :

Hello, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you today. There are 2 main things I can think of that could be causing asteroid(cute name) to regurgitate. Assuming he is eating and acting ok it could be a "breeding display". Regurgitation is one way a male budgie attracts a female. If that is the case then little to do other than possibly move cage to a room without windows and subject him to 8 hours light and 16 hours dark. This may "reset" his biological clock and make him think it is not breeding season. An alternative would be to get him a mate and start breeding budgies.

Dr. Gregg :

Another thought is he may have a yeast infection in his crop. A vet could look at a sample of crop material under the microscope to tell. It is easily treated with oral medication. I hope that helps.

Customer:

Thank-you for your help but asteroid is an aviary bird and when he does the regurgitation motion it is exaggerated and he doesn't bring anything back up.There are females available to him but he is not doing the action towards any of them.We brought him indoors and didn't see him do it. So is it more likely to be yeast. Do you think he can pass it on to the other birds and should be separated. He doesn't have any other symptoms and is flying fine.