Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

i have a chicken with SHS. i also keep a Harris Hawk, is a

Customer Question

i have a chicken with SHS. i also keep a Harris Hawk, is a raptor susceptible to SHS as found in poultry?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The most honest answer I can give you is that we don't know. The avian pneumoviruses (APV) incriminated in SHS have been reported in turkeys, chickens, pheasants, guinea fowl, and ducks and antibodies against these viruses have been found in ostriches and herring gulls. Wild birds may be important in the transmission of these viruses. APV subtype C has been found in wild migratory birds however whether the virus replicates in wild species and plays a part in transmission is unknown.

It would be prudent to take precautions when moving between your birds - changing clothes and shoes and thoroughly washing your hands before handling either birds and their surroundings. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your reply. a couple of additional questions;

i understand the mortality rate for SHS is fairly low but only from internet research, is it worth considering euthanising the chicken?

is a raptor likely to show the same symptoms as the chicken?

is there transmission to humans? we have 2 small children.

and finally, can small mammals such as mice or rats be a factor in transmission?

many thanks for your help from Yorkshire

You're correct in that the mortality rate is low - 1-10%. These birds have to get better on their own because antibiotics don't address viruses. The morbidity (severity of symptoms) however, can be so severe as to prompt euthanasia. If this chicken is still eating and drinking, you can continue to "watchful wait" because birds can normalize within 10-14 days. If it remains anorexic for any more than 3 consecutive days, however, euthanasia should be considered as a kindness.

We don't know because we've never seen this infection in raptors. I would conjecture that the virus would cause similar symptoms, however, because it has an affinity for the respiratory tract.

Once again, that's unknown but unlikely as this virus appears to be avian specific.

Not that we know of but I'm not aware of any studies involving antibody detection in humans.

Please say hello to Yorkshire for me!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks again

You're quite welcome. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats very kind of you. I'm particularly concerned for my Harris so i'll let you know how it goes. i don't know if you have my email address, just in case it's:[email protected]

It's my pleasure. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to correspond with you outside of this venue. Notice how your email was rendered in our conversation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ahhh, seen. OK. anyway pass my respects to the Arizona, I had a relative killed on her. Thanks again for your help

Done. Speak to you soon.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.