Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

dog is being sick and skin colour is re/purple on inner ear

Customer Question

dog is being sick and skin colour is re/purple on inner ear and belly
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Billy's vomiting and purple color to the inside of her ears and on her belly.

A splotchy purple color on the skin of the abdomen and inner ears can indicate bleeding under the skin due to a clotting abnormality related to poor platelet function, decreased numbers of platelets or decreased clotting factors being produced by the liver.
Given that she is also vomiting I believe this may be related to a tick borne infection, ingestion of a rodenticide that affects clotting factors, a systemic infection leading to a condition called DIC, which is a widespread inflammatory process that leads to loss of clotting ability and bleeding, or severe liver disease.

All of these conditions can be life threatening problems. Billy deserves a trip to either her regular veterinarian immediately or if they are unavailable an emergency veterinary clinic.

Best of luck with your pup, please let me know if you have any further questions.