Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my dog is losing weight,and appears to be in pain when he moves,his

my dog is losing weight,and appears to be in pain when he moves,his jaw is stiff and he is not himself.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Frankie is in pain when moving, then it is reasonable that he is not feeling like himself. Since it sounds like you have tried some initial therapy with him without success, can you tell me:

Where have you localized the pain to when he moves?

By jaw stiffness, do you mean he has pain when the mouth is opened?

Did he show any changes on the steroids or pain killers?

Has he had any x-rays? Or advanced diagnostics (ie CT or MRI)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Frankie has not yet had any other intervention,just the drug therapy,his jaw is stiff and possibly painful on opening his mouth,he cannot jump 0nto a chair without help,there is muscle wastage on his little body,we are desperate for answers please.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Caroline,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, the signs Frankie is showing can be caused by a range of issues. With his jaw signs combined with muscle wasting and pain in other areas, it does make primary jaw issues (ie local muscle inflammation, tumors, etc) a wee bit less likely and instead means we need to consider more systemic issues that would affect the body on the whole.

Therefore, we'd need to be thinking about conditions like polyarthritis or polymyositis where multiple joints and/or muscles are affected. Furthermore, depending on your locale within the UK, we may need to consider tick borne disease. Less commonly but also a concern with his signs would be Toxoplasma, Sarcocystis, Neospora, myasthenia gravis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and some cancers.

In this situation, we have to appreciate that without any diagnostics, you will be treating in the dark. Therefore, I would advise that you do need to speak to your vet about where to go from here testing-wise (since they will have examined him and know where the specific issues are arising from). If they feel out of their depth or MRI/CT are suspected to be required, then you may want to speak to them about referral to a veterinary school or veterinary specialist. The specialists are trained to deal with uncommon or challenged cases like Frankie's and would be able to help. They would assess him and depending on their findings, give you an idea of what testing (ie bloods, muscle biopsy, joint tap, MRI or CT) would shed the most light on his situation and aid in getting a diagnosis. And once you know what you are fighting, you would be in the position to know how it needs to be treated and what his long term prognosis is.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.