Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my Pomeranian has vomited several times and there are slight

my Pomeranian has vomited several times and there are slight traces of blood in her stools. She has passed firm stools but more frequently than usual. This seems to be a recurring problem (3rd time in past few months) . Vet prescribed antibiotics previously which cleared up problem. Should I take her back to vets or wait and see if she recovers on her own?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she been dewormed? If so, what was used?
2- How much does she weigh?
3- Any mucus (jelly like) in the stool?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

has been wormed - tablet Milbemax?

5Kg

Very small blob of red

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Jim, if she was treated with Milbemax unlikely for parasites to be the cause. When we see blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines; other possible causes are infections, ingestion of a foreign body, dietary indiscretion, etc. If this has been an ongoing problem I would discuss with your vet about doing an abdominal ultrasound to take a closer look at the gastrointestinal tract. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol (bismuth), it will make the bleeding worst.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a bland diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter