YourPetVet
YourPetVet, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in general practice, surgery and emergency medicine
41322881

My chicken is droopy and puffed up. She also is finding it

My chicken is droopy and puffed up. She also is finding it difficult to stand falling to the left. What's wrong with her?
Expert:  YourPetVet replied 3 years ago.

YourPetVet :

While it's impossible to be certain based only on an online description, your bird is showing signs of vestibular disorder. Loss of balance, paralysis, and head tilting are common signs. Vestibular disease isn't actually one disease, but can be caused by several different conditions. Some are very serious, while others can be easily treated. A few of the possibilities are ear infection, injury, tumor on the brain stem, strokes, and exposure to toxic chemicals. In a few cases, a cause can't be found. Regardless of the cause, if you want a certain diagnosis, your chicken will need to be seen by an avian vet. If you decide to do that, here is a site that will help you find one near you:

http://aav.org/vet-lookup/

In the meantime, keep your bird on a soft surface to decrease the chances of injury. If she's having trouble eating and drinking, hand feed her, and use a syringe to put water in the bottom of her mouth. Some forms of vestibular disorder - some injuries, some strokes, and certain types of infection- will get better on their own if nursing care is provided. Exposure to cleaning and disinfecting agents can also cause these symptoms in sensitive birds. This could also improve when exposure was eliminated. The only additional step you could take would be to see a vet.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your chicken will reach a full recovery.