Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  Have practiced small animal veterinary medicine in a large city for 5.5 years
24698571

is it dangerous for a cat if one of its eyes remains shut?

is it dangerous for a cat if one of its eyes remains shut? This is what has happened to this 2 month old kitten. could it affect him in the future? for example, could he become blind in the other eye? thank you
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I'd be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

Has the eye ever opened or does it appear that there is tissue covering the eyelids where they would normally separate?

Customer: Hi, it appears that there is tissue, and just a small part of his pupil is visible, as if it were a birth defect I think
Doctor H :

Do you happen to have any photos of it or can you take a photo and post it to chat?

Customer: I can't seem to send it through this site. Would you be able to give me your email address? Otherwise I'll try and do it from my computer in a bit as I am on my phone.
Doctor H :

You can submit it [email protected] and I can take a look.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

it is a cat that i am looking to buy and have fallen in love with, but i want to make sure i am not making a mistake

Doctor H :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX able to see the eye at all underneath? If so, does it look like a normal eye or an abnormal one?

Customer: I'm not too sure because I'm not with him right now, would it make a difference? I don't think you are really able to see enough of it to tell
Doctor H :

Okay, and is this through a rescue, private owner or breeder?

Customer:

its through a breeder, he was part of a litter of 6 and it looks like he acts completely normal

Customer:

they said that it happens sometimes and in the last litter the mother had, one kitten had only 3 legs

Doctor H :

Okay

Doctor H :

Well I don't think it's a big deal but ideally a vet would want to close the rest of the eye

Customer:

okay

Customer:

thank you so much for your help

Doctor H :

So you may look into having the breeder covering that cost. You can always consult with a general practice veterinarian (as the surgery is not terribly difficult) or an ophthalmologist if you want to be absolutely sure.

Doctor H :

Sure - do you have any other questions? Otherwise kindly rate my service so I may know how helpful I've been :)

Customer:

ok will do so now

Customer:

thank you

Doctor H :

Well not to belabor the point, but poor diabetic regulation and subsequent elevated glucose levels decreases the immune response