Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi, are Cat Zapper has a wound to the head between

Customer Question

Hi, are Cat 'Zapper' has a nasty wound to the head between RH eye and ear. Started from the all to often cat fights as a small wound and swelling to cheek, then hair pulled out by cat scratching and noticed oozing puss on Monday. Antiseptic powder and collar has been used now since Monday (4 days). What should be be doing to ensure a speedy recovery and healing as open wound is still oozing. I have photo's to send. [email protected]
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me, how is Zapper in himself? Still quite bright and eating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still eating, but subdued, he's an outdoor cat and doesn't take well to being inside, let alone owning the 'cone of shame'!. Hole of wound is deep and when turning him upside down a red (bright red) stained water fluid can dribble from the hole of the wound. Do you wish I send you two pictures?

Hi Jeremy,

Please send the photos, they best way is to give me their URL if they are online somewhere but you can also use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above if it is visible to you ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

here are two pictures of the woundZapper head wound

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Zapper head wound 1

Hello again Jeremy,

Just saw the photos, very useful.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. This is typical cat bite abscess and very common in cats. This may not be what you want to hear I know but the infection is deep in the tissues so the best way to handle cat bite abscesses in my experience would be to put the cat on a course of antibiotics. As these are prescription drugs this will usually mean a visit to the vet or obtaining these drugs from your vet. Antispetic powder on the outside is just not going to help.

2. However on a home remedy basis you might want to try the following until you can get to a vet. : Poultice the area with warm salt water twice a day for at least five minutes a session. Use warm water from the tap and saturate it with table salt. Just use kitchen paper soaked in the salt solution and change it frequently so it holds the heat. You can then afterwards use human antiseptic cream or ointment by applying it deeply into any open wounds or infected looking areas. While not ideal I have known clients resolve abscesses on their cats using this method.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your very prompt and thorough advice. Sorry you cannot supply cat antibiotics.

No problem, very glad to have advised you...

I am not based in the UK now so sadly cannot prescribe drugs for your cat.

Kindest regards,

Scott.