Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

hi mr catchpole speaking I have a cat said to be about 8yrs

hi mr catchpole speaking
I have a cat said to be about 8yrs old very small we feed her on
felix cat food with jelly but wont drink any water she mostly eats the jelly
and very little of the food she does quite a lot of wees and her stalls are hard
and small we have tried her on milk but wont drink any liquids is the jelly
enough for her by theway she is an indoor cat. she is a lovely cat .
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about your little one not drinking and water and having hard, dry stools.

Cats are notoriously poor at drinking enough water. Their kidneys, when functioning normally, do a very good job at conserving water.
In some cases if they only eat canned food they may get enough water from their diet. But if their kidneys aren't functioning at full efficiency then the rest of the body may suffer a bit. It is likely that she is mildly dehydrated if her stools are hard and dry.
I am also concerned that her appetite isn't great. That can indicate kidney, or other internal organ, disease which would interfere with her appetite.

You might try adding warm water or low salt broths to her canned food to try and get more fluids into her. Sometimes offering tuna juice with a little water added for her to drink will get her to drink.
You could also try using a kitty water fountain. It has been proven that cats drink more from a moving, fresh water source.
Here's a link to show some kitty water fountains:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/cat_fountains

I also recommend that your little one see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure that she is healthy.
Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.